How the SNAP WordPress Plugin takes imagesHow the SNAP WordPress Plugin takes images
Shared Links to Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, Reddit, Stumbleupon, Plurk, etc…
Those networks do not provide a special way to specify the shared link image during the autoposting. Networks retrieve and process your link internally and set the image using their own internal algorithms. Most networks will get the info about your link from the OG (OpenGraph) metatags. The only way to tell Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, Stumbleupon what image you would like to use is to setup og:image metatag. Most SEO plugins and most modern themes support OG metatags. There are also many specific plugins just for that.
[Important] The article below is related ONLY to “Image” post type, not to “Shared Link” post type.
Images in “Image” post types
Posts made by the plugin don´t show the image from the post? They show no image, website logo or some random picture?
This article explains how the SNAP gets and sets images for autoposts to social networks.
How the plugin gets the image
1. If Image was manually selected (Choose what image to use), it will be used.
2. If no image was selected manually and “Alternative Featured Image location” is set in the settings, plugin will take an image from there.
3. If there is no “Alternative Featured Image”, plugin will take the featured image from the post. ( >- This is is most common case)
4. If there is no featured image it will take the first image from the post body.
5. If your post body has no images it will take the specified default image.
6. If default image is not specified it will take the first image from the page.
Important! Image must be set at the time you hit the “Publish” button. Some third party plugins that make posts sometimes publish a post without featured image and then add it later. If this is your case, you can try to delay the autoposting for several minutes.
Important! If featured image or image from the post body has been uploaded in different sizes, you can choose what size to use in the “Advanced Settings”.
Why my Image is so small? or My image is posted as original 9000x9000 pixels. Can I post a smaller thumbnail?
If featured image or image from the post body has been uploaded in different sizes, you can choose what size to use in the “Advanced Settings”. (This will work ONLY if plugin sets your images. If network decides your imaegs by itself, please check your metatags and other settings)
Why some networks show images correctly and some have problems?
There are many ways of how the networks are getting your images and all of them do it differently.
1. Some networks (Twitter, Tumblr, ….) require the URL of the image. The special bot from the network will visit your site and grab the image itself. You need to have the image available for download, valid, non-broken, and not protected for that to work.
2. Some networks require images file to be uploaded. The image must be downloaded by the plugin/api, stored in your temporary folder, then uploaded. Your temporary folder must be available and writable. Your server must be able to download its own images.
3. Some networks require images to be uploaded as the binary data stream. The image must be downloaded by the plugin/api then sent to the network as the data stream. Your server must be able to download its own images.
4. Some networks (Google+, LinkedIn, Stumbleupon) will just ignore all your settings and grab your image using your metadata or some other internal algorithms.
Sometimes networks can combine those ways or use different ways for different types of posts. That’s why “image post” can work and “post with attached image” can have a broken or incorrect image.
Limit Autoposting Speed
Importing many posts at once? Not a problem. SNAP can query your autoposts and publish them one by one in defined time intervals.
Autopost New Blogposts
SNAP will automatically post your newly published blogposts (pages, events, products, custom post types) to all your defined social media accounts.
SNAP can autopost blogposts, pages, WooCommerce products, and any other "Custom Post Types"
URL Shorteners: bit.ly, goo.gl, Rebrandly, YOURLS and built in WordPress URL Shortener
Export/Import Plugin settings
You Export and Import all plugin settings as backup or to move it to another site
Support for "Google My Business" is coming this fall. Google recently made some kind of blog-a-like functionality available for local business listings. As a local business owner you can add posts, events, offers as well as products to your business listing. Although...
We are getting a lot of questions about upcoming deadline for Facebook app review. People are asking what should we do. The honest answer would be: "No one has any idea". We submitted several apps for Facebook review using different ways of describing and explaining...
What happened with Facebook? Facebook made changes to it's API access policy on May 1st, 2018. As the result we introduced our own Premium API for Facebook. We feel that we need to explain how exactly those changes affected SNAP. Since the beginning Facebook native...
Instagram made some very big changes to authentication process. About 70% of our users are affected by them. Before the changes the process was quite simple: Sometimes Instagram decided that login from SNAP is "unusual" and asked for confirmation. You just had to open...
Sometimes Instagram decides that login from SNAP is "unusual" and asks for confirmation. Until yesterday, you just had to open Instagram on your phone and tap "This was me" button on "We have detected an unusual login attempt" screen. Yesterday this stopped working....