Setup/Installation: Facebook - Social Networks Auto-PosterHow to setup Facebook in SNAP WordPress plugin and API
The Facebook Platform uses OAuth 2.0 for authentication and authorization. You need to setup Facebook Application and connect this application to your blog and authorize it.
Plugin could post:
1. Facebook Profile.
2. Facebook Pages (all kinds) (User who authorized the plugin must be an admin of the page).
3. Public Groups (User who authorized the plugin must be at least a member of the public group).
4. Closed groups (User who authorized the plugin must be an admin* of the closed group).
5. Secret groups (User who authorized the plugin must be an admin* of the secret group).
* There’s an unofficial workaround for posting to Closed/Secret Groups if you just a member (not an admin).
Please see the instructions below:
1. Create an app and community page for your website.
1. Login to your Facebook account.
2. Go to the Developers page: https://developers.facebook.com/
If you are not registered as “Developer” yet, you need to click blue button “Register”. Click here to see the Register as a Developer instructions, otherwise proceed to the step #3.
Register as a Developer
1. Click blue button “Register”.
2. Accept the policy, click “Register”.
3. Solve captcha and/or confirm your phone number (if asked).
4. You are now a Facebook Developer.
FAQ: Question: Why I can’t create an app on developers.facebook.com/apps ? When I am trying to enter that page it redirects me back to my account?
Answer: Facebook “Business” or “Advertising” accounts can’t manage apps. Only real user accounts are able to create and manage apps. Please login to Facebook as a personal account to be able to create app.
3. Click “My Apps -> Add a New App” menu item.
Fill “App Name”, Contact email, leave “App Namespace” empty, select any category. agree to policies and click “Create App ID”, solve captcha (if asked), click “Submit”.
4. No need to add any products, just click “Settings” on the left.
– Notice App ID and App Secret (Click “Show”, enter your password (if asked)) on this page.
– Fill “Contact email” field (if empty), then click “Add Platform”.
5. Select “Website” in the list.
Enter your full website URL to the “Site URL” field. Enter your domain to the App Domains. Domain should be the same domain as the URL that you have entered to the “Site URL”.
Important!: You must enter the URL and domain that you see in your WordPress Admin Panel. For example your visitors come to your blog at https://blog.nextscripts.com, but you manage your blog from https://www.nextscripts.com/blog/wp-admin/ – you must enter https://www.nextscripts.com/blog to the URL Field and www.nextscripts.com as the domain. Also please note that nextscripts.com and www.nextscripts.com are two different domains.
Important!!! Again, Please use your own information, don’t literally re-type “NextScripts Blog”, “NextScripts.com” and other sample info.
“Important” Please also enter your contact email. You won’t be able to make public posts without entering email.
Click “Save Changes”
6. All Facebook apps are “Sandboxed” by default. All posts will be visible only to to Admins, Developers and Testers. You need to take an app “Live” if/when you would like your posts to be seen by everybody.
Click “App Review” on the left. Change “Make APPNAME public?” switch from “No” to “Yes”.
Your App is ready to use.
Just to avoid any confusion. You don’t need to submit your app for review and approval. Review and approval are required ONLY for apps that will be used publicly by other people. SNAP will be authorized and make posts ONLY as you (as the admin of the app). No review and approval are necessary for admin usage.
2. Connect Facebook to your WordPress.
1. Login to your WordPress Admin Panel, Go to the Settings->Social Networks AutoPoster Options.
2. Click green “Add new account” button, select “Facebook” from the list.
3. Fill “App ID” and “App Secret” from step 3 above.
4. Click “Authorize Your Facebook Account” and follow the authorization wizard. Facebook will ask you series of questions. If you get any errors at this step, please make sure that domain for your WordPress site is entered to your App as “App Domain”.
Important: If Facebook tell you that you need to switch to your main account, you will need to close the wizard, go to facebook.com, switch account, and then start authorization from the beginning.
[Update – May 2014] Facebook changed some rules regarding the apps. This means that the Facebook App, Facebook profile or page and the user who authorizes the app MUST belong to the same Facebook account. So please make sure you are logged to Facebook as the same user who created the app.
Important: When Facebook Authorization Wizard asks you for the access privileges to your profile/pages, do not uncheck anything and don’t click “Skip”.
Facebook don’t have the ability to request permission to just one page. It’s either all of them or none. If you click “Skip” it means you forbid Facebook from posting to any of your pages, groups or profiles.
Our plugin will post only to the page that you specify.
Note (Again): Please don’t pay attention to the red message on top of the screenshot above, you don’t need to submit your app for review if you will be posting to the profile and pages you admin.
4. Your Facebook account is ready to post to your Profile.
5. [Optional] Find your new account in the list and click [Show Settings]. Notice new “Where to Post” dropdown showing your pages and groups. Select Profile or one of the pages or groups and click “Update Account Info”.
If your page or groups is NOT in the list please see how to add it here: Why Page/Group is not in the list and how to add it
Here is the Facebook announcement - API Change Log: Modifying Link Previews Facebook API 2.9 update came with deprecation of support for manual setting info of shared/attached links - Facebook API 2.9 Changelog This is exactly the part of the Facebook API SNAP was...
XING has recently decided to discontinue its official free API. Today we are introducing the better alternative - new NextScripts Premium API for XING. Unlike the API from XING that was able to make posts to profiles only, NextScripts Premium API for XING can post to...
UPDATE (Jan 20, 2017). Version 3.7.11 has been released to WordPress.org plugin repository. it has all code from this beta along with some fixes. Please update your plugin. ------------- New beta version is available for download. Two most popular networks Facebook...
SNAP for Wordpress Version 3.7 has been released. This version adds support for two new networks. 1. Weibo. Biggest Chinese Microblogging Service. You can post your messages and images. 2. MailChimp. One of the most popular email marketing tools. You can send your...
Instagram Autoposting is coming to SNAP! 3 years ago we wrote an article explaining why Instagram was not supported. Instagram was accepting images only from the phones and other mobile devices and there was no way to post there from the website or API. Since then we...